Mark P. Becker, President of Georgia State University just sent out this statement:
I am extremely pleased to share with you news of an impending historic decision that holds great promise for Georgia State University. At the University System of Georgia Board of Regents meeting tomorrow (Jan. 6), Chancellor Hank Huckaby is expected to present a recommendation to the Board to consolidate Georgia State and Georgia Perimeter College, a move that would create the largest university in the state and one of the largest in the nation. The consolidation would greatly improve opportunities for students and expand Georgia State’s reach and impact across the metro-Atlanta area and the state.
A look at the #’s
- Total undergraduate enrollment of 24,865
- Campus size is 70 acres
- Offers 250 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in more than 100 fields of study in its eight colleges and schools.
- Georgia State University will revitalize an area adjacent to Woodruff Park by creating a media production center for education, research and entrepreneurship and partnerships with the Georgia film, music, games and arts industries.
- 21,371 students
- Five campuses and extensive online program
- GPC takes in more undergraduate students each fall semester, accepts more transfer students and sends more students on to other institutions than any other USG institution, accounting for more than one-third of all transfer students.