OBMedical is the first member investment made via Atlanta Technology Angels new life science vertical.
- OBMedical is a maternal-fetal monitoring startup based in Florida. Check out their LaborView Sensor System.
- OBMedical landed $2.1 million in funding to complete safety, mechanical, and EMC testing, summative usability testing, and industrial design, supporting a filing for 510(k) clearance for LaborView.
- Atlanta Technology Angels (ATA) members participated in the round. The raise also included investments from Angel Investment Management Group in Alabama, Upstate Carolinas Angel Network and was led by New World Angels in Florida.
- ATA’s mission “is to provide opportunities for members to invest in top tier early-stage companies in the South East. ATA members provide seed and early-stage capital of between $150K-$2M, an investment range not generally served by venture capital funds.”
- Life science isn’t the only special interest group within ATA. They also focus on hardware, software, digital media, consumer products and services, financial services, healthcare, cleantech and industrial.
- Something to consider about life science startups – “Life Science & BioTech companies face different challenges than traditional technology startups. Intellectual property, government regulations, Medicare reimbursement, longer development periods, and higher capital requirements are factors that influence these companies and investors alike.” – ATA
[Photo Credit: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DRHdeYxUypI/SwIDKAE_g1I/AAAAAAAAAF8/wbT0UwALR3E/s1600/sonogram+1+111609.jpg]