[Photo: View of Hack for CF, the first ever medical-focused hackathon in Atlanta ]
- Virginia-based Cigital is opening up operations in Atlanta to design, build, and maintain secure software applications.
- Monsieur followed its successful TechCrunch Disrupt debut with their Kickstarter campaign launch and a blizzard of press: Mashable, HuffingtonPost, Engadget, Business Insider, FastCompany, CNN Money . For kicks, check this out from their early days.
- Midtown Alliance featured this post by Rhonda Lowry of Turner Broadcasting about the Magic of Hackathons.
- Yash Kumar, Georgia Tech graduate and CEO and co-founder of Runnable.com got some love for his YouTube for Code
- The voice of Siri lives in Atlanta
- GigaOM explored how Atlanta corporations are working with startups to spark innovation.
- Mowgli unveiled a new company website and launched its latest product MashupDJ.com and now you, too, can make sweet music. GigaOM took notice.
Deals, Funding, and Awards
- KidsLink closed a $1 million funding round and announced its Beta launch.
- Neurotrack announced a $2 million funding round. Great to see this Emory-spawned startup build on its success.
- Local Angel investors needs to make sure to apply by October 31 for the tax credit. (h/t Wayt King)
- Norcross-based Herschend Family Entertainment Corp. purchased the Harlem Globetrotters.
- Old Fourth Tailoring is blowing the doors off its Kickstarter campaign
- TripLingo brought home two big checks for winning the Concur Perfect Trip pitch contest.
Events and Conferences Announced
- Atlanta startups can register to compete in the SXSW 2014 Accelerator. Deadline is November 8.
- GigaOM is hosting a meetup this Thursday and unveiled a powerhouse lineup.
- Entrepreneur Magazine is bringing its Thought Leaders conference to Atlanta on November 6.
- Georgia Tech IPaT and Midtown Alliance will host a developers workshop on Monday, October 15 for the Midtown Buzz initiative.
- Founders Institute is hosting Startup Founder 101 at ATDC on October 8.
- Eddie Kovel and team launched their Kickstarter for Playout: The Exercise Card Game. Fitness made fun with your support.
- Coca-Cola unveiled a freshly redesigned blog with some good startup content mixed in.
- Atlanta-based startup, ShootProof unveiled its new website.
- nCrowd launched its flagship product and daily deals have never looked so beautiful
- Allen Nance noodled on the concept of a Venture Creation Fund.
- KollectiveSouth shared some thoughts on how to spur stronger community in Atlanta.
- An Atlanta startup has launched iOximeter, a smartphone device to tell your blood saturation and heart rate, is vying for spot at the Engadget Expand NY conference. Help them here.
Surely, we’re not perfect. So let us know if we left something out of this roundup by leaving a comment below with whatever links you think need to be added. We’d love to hear from you.