Jeff Haynie of Appcelerator returned to Atlanta for a visit. Generation Y has needs you need to know about. And Startup Weekend returns Friday. Enjoy.
- The AJC reported that Dick Kramlich, an early investor in Apple and co-founder of top venture firm New Enterprise Associates, called Atlanta a “Top 5 market for startups.”
- The Metro Atlanta Chamber dug past the predisposed stereotypes of Generation Y to learn a little more about their work habits and views. See more.
- The University System of Georgia Board of Regents will consider a proposal this month to consolidate Kennesaw State University and Southern Polytechnic State University. The Atlanta Business Chronicle will give you the scoop.
- Fast Company published an article to inspire you to “ditch the job you have and work for a startup” by focusing on growth companies.
- Technology companies housed in the suburbs are trying to relocate inside the perimeter to attract top talent is to embrace that hip intown Atlanta vibe. Read more about it from the Atlanta Business Chronicle.
- TechCrunch wrote an article on what they call the “Unicorn Club”, 39 U.S.-based software companies that started since 2003 and are valued at over $1 billion by public or private market investors.
- WSB-TV produced a clip on “Tech companies growing in size, and growing in Ga” featuring companies in ATDC.
- Read up on ShootProof, an online image proofing solution for wedding and portrait photographers.
- A lot can happen in a year for a city and a startup founder. Jeff Haynie, co-founder and CTO of Appcelerator paid a visit to Atlanta. Look through the slideshare from Ti AppCamp 2 : Atlanta “Apps, APIs & Analytics: What Mobile First Really Means.” He also recently spoke for Silicon Valley Bank. You can watch the video here. Want a little background of this Atlantan who moved to Silicon Valley? You can deeper by reading this Forbes article, another from the Atlanta Business Chronicle, and a statement from John Birdsong.
Deals, Funding, and Hires
- Last week, Avalon sponsored a team of Georgia Tech student inventors to travel to Kansas City for the Google Fiber Gigabit Explorer Challenge to further develop their smart home technology. See a photo of the award.
- MEMI is a chic iPhone-compatible smartbracelet that notifies its wearer of important phone calls, text messages & calendar alerts. This company needs to raise an additional $74,000 by the end of this month for a kickstarter campaign. Buy one of these cool bracelets.
Events, Conferences, Classes Announced
- Georgia Tech is hosting its annual People & Technology Forum. The keynote speaker for this year’s event is Babak Parviz, creator of Google Glass. When you register use code “hypepotamus13′ to receive a 20% discount.
- Startup Weekend Atlanta is scheduled for this weekend and organizers announced 3 of their judges: Lance Weatherby brought the first Startup Weekend to Atlanta back in 2007, Bradley Kirkland an angel investor, and Mike Hersh the new Director/GM of ATDC.
- BlackGirlsCODE is hosting their 2nd mobile app development workshop in Atlanta on Saturday, November 9 at Spelman College. Register.
- On November 8, TEDxPeachtree will return to the Buckhead Theatre, where last year’s successful conference was held.
- There is a new semester-long mobile app course SEMA is offering in the spring. In this course, students recieve credit at Georgia Tech, networking opportunities with professional mobile developers, learn agile development principles, and create a mobile app to benefit charity. Look into it.
- This Friday is the deadline to submit your startup to the SXSW Accelerator contest happening at the 2014 SXSW. Learn more here.
- Innovation Leader interviewed David Butler, Coke’s VP of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, to offer a glimpse of some of the experiments he is trying in his new role. Read more.
- John Saddington reviewed the coworking spots (and productivity cafes) of Atlanta.
- Jeff Hilimire blogged about the “12 Things that Really Respected People Do.”
- All photos submitted on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and tagged with #WeLoveMidtown will be entered into a prize drawing hosted by the Midtown Alliance.
- Want to rewind the clock 18 months? Check out a Prezi by Kevin Wallace about the birth and community need of Hypepotamus.
Surely, we’re not perfect. So let us know if we left something out of this roundup by leaving a comment below with whatever links you think need to be added. We’d love to hear from you.