Points of Light – the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 5 million volunteers in 20 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
Reports to: Vice President of Engineering
Department: Business Development and Digital Strategy
• Have you established a track record of bringing apps from idea to market?
• Do you have substantial hands-on engineering experience?
• Do you desire to apply your knowledge of UI and UX principles to tell useful stories about data to your audience in an engaging way?
• Are you comfortable in a fast changing and evolving industry?
We are the leading nonprofit organization on the subject of volunteering and civic engagement. We develop solutions to advance our cause and build the capacity of other nonprofits and grassroots community groups to harness the human capital of volunteers.
Our All For Good product is the world’s largest online listing of volunteer opportunities – and our API powers search across the web at sites like United Way, AARP and the White House’s Serve.Gov initiative.
Our team designs, develops and maintains a coordinated infrastructure across our products to provide 360 degree analytics and reporting capabilities to our users. Our strategic plan opens our systems and coordinates with industry partners to ease friction in the volunteer experience for both the volunteers and the organizations they serve.
Position Functions and Responsibilities include:
• Develop and maintain the digital product vision and strategy for the enterprise
• Interface with business owners and other non-technical stakeholders in the organizations to understand the users of our products
• Execute on sprints and epics as defined by the Agile team.
• Review code of colleagues
• Respond to feedback from business owners and incorporate into product improvements.
Core Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• You enjoy working nimbly with a small team. You’re scrappy.
• You’re sociable. Yes, you’ll be writing code, but you’ll also serve as an ambassador for our organization to many volunteers, including a network of technology mentors and external digital experts.
• You are passionate about creating change in the world. While we pay well, and fair, this can’t be “just a job” for you. You’ve got to love national service and civic technology.
• You keep up-to-date with modern web development techniques and practices.
• You are entrepreneurial through direct experience and/or mind-set.
• You enjoy engaging in, understanding, and discussing technical approaches and architectural concerns.
• You also enjoy engaging in, understanding, and discussing the business needs and user expectations with nontechnical stakeholders in an organization.
• You insist upon automated testing, code quality and continuous deployment.
• You have gratitude for standing on the shoulders of open-source giants who came before you.
• We happen to specialize in PHP and Laravel, but you have the fundamentals to master any language or framework.
• We deploy to Heroku, but you understand Twelve Factor app design and can deploy and maintain an app anywhere.
• Education: BS or MS degree, preferably in CS or related technical/analytical field
o 4+ years experience working to deliver successful and innovative consumer internet products
Culture and Values
Points of Light has a 25 year history that it seeks to honor, while looking toward the future as an innovative thought leader in the volunteer sector. We have a fast-paced, collaborative environment, working across three offices in Atlanta, New York City and Washington DC. Our organization values innovation, dedication, teamwork and respectfulness.
We enjoy thinking big, but also working hard to deliver our best work. Our team is solution-oriented, looking for someone who is always ready to deliver on ways to solve challenges, both internally and with external partners.
What We Offer: Competitive Compensation and Excellent Benefits including a robust PTO program: 18 days of PTO, 11 Holidays, plus we are closed for a week in December! Medical, dental, and vision benefits offered, free life insurance and short-term disability, and a 403b program with employer match.
Points of Light is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://workforcenow.adp.com/myportal/ess/recruitment/internalPostingPreview.faces?client=pol1990&jobId=266167&lang=en_US&source=CC2 →