Website KIPP Metro Atlanta Schools
KIPP (Knowledge is Power Program) is a national network of free, open enrollment, college preparatory schools dedicated to preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. There are 200 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving more than 80,000 students. KIPP Metro Atlanta currently operates eight KIPP schools including four middle schools, three primary schools and one high school, as well as, the KIPP Through College Program which supports students on their journey “to and through” college.
KIPP MAC provides financial and operational support and oversight to KIPP Metro Atlanta schools, develops instructional initiatives designed to strengthen the schools’ academic programs, and implements each school’s high school placement and alumni services through the KIPP Through College Program.
About Metro Atlanta Teacher Residency (MATR)
The KIPP Metro Atlanta Teaching Residency provides a unique and rigorous opportunity for aspiring educators to enter the profession through a supportive training process. Residents will learn alongside mentor teachers, while earning a master’s degree in teaching and a Georgia teaching certificate. This prestigious, paid, two-year residency immerses Residents in intensive training through graduate coursework and deliberate practice with a gradual on-ramp into teaching. Furthermore, Residents will have the opportunity to engage in content development, case studies and instructional rounds all aimed at building a continuous learning mindset within themselves and their cohort. This program is best suited for individuals who are passionate and committed to teaching as a long-term career path but who do not have any full-time teaching experience yet.
For the $125K investment on the development of future educators, Residents make a commitment to teach for a minimum of two years at the completion of the training program.
The MATR Resident must believe that
• All children can and will learn
• Accountability starts and ends with me
• When there is a better way, I find it. When a teammate needs help, I give. When I need help, I ask.
• With deliberate practice, I can become an excellent teacher
• I am a constant learner
The MATR Resident must…
• Have grit. When he or she gets “stuck”, they works relentlessly to solve the problem
• Make decisions with student’s best interests in mind
• Demonstrate self-control, both work related and inter-personal
• Keep commitments made to students, families and colleagues
• Express and maintain optimism about the future of our students and our schools
• Be dependable, organized, efficient, creative, & professional
Resident Teacher (School Based) 60%
MATR residents will assume the same schedule as a full-time KIPP Metro Atlanta teacher. Duties and responsibilities include:
• Developing teaching skills through regular feedback and coaching
• Participate and contribute as a member of his/ her particular school community
• Providing individual or small group instruction for students
• Committing to constant professional and personal growth through working closely with a team of teachers across the region
• Attend all school level professional development (PD sessions).
• Constantly assessing student progress, and communicating results to families and colleagues
• Modeling the school’s values in all communications with students, families and staff.
• Conduct purposeful observations of mentor and other excellent teachers
• Model the values of KIPP Metro Atlanta and setting the standard for professional behavior
• Help to envision and create a positive learning environment and exhibit positive rapport with students, parents and staff
• Have fun and spread joy!
Resident Graduate Student 40%
• Participate in weekly meetings with mentor/ host teacher
• Participate in goal setting, observations, and debrief meetings with School leader, MATR staff and graduate institution.
• Implement feedback from observation by MATR staff, faculty, School Leaders and mentor teachers into classroom practice.
• Attend all PD and certification coursework with graduate institution and MATR.
• All other duties as assigned
• Compelling passion and commitment to be a teacher in an underserved community
• Belief that all students can and will learn
• Unquestioned integrity and commitment to MATR’s mission, as well as the mission of the schools in which MATR’s are placed
• Openness to feedback, and willingness to constantly reflect, improve and learn
• Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
• Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment and develop strong relationships with parents and colleagues.
• Flexibility, tenacity, perseverance, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor
• High level of organization and professionalism
• Bachelor’s degree with a 3.00 GPA (preferred)
Please apply at
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0X0W000008nOrP →