Website Virgin Pulse
Creating Workforce Habits That Matter
Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse’s takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management; all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse’s solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures.
Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
Virgin Pulse values and celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We believe in creating teams made up of individuals with various backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Why? Because diversity inspires innovation, collaboration, and challenges us to produce better solutions? But more than this, diversity is our strength, and a catalyst in our ability to #changelivesforgood. ??
Our next generation Data Pipeline is using an exciting mixture of large scale, highly available, public-facing systems built on serverless infrastructure. This Data Pipeline ensures scalable, secure, private, and high-performance access to any data from our application, operational tools, or any other data generated within the organization.
Our Data Pipeline feeds our Data Lake and Data Warehouse; both of which use Amazon Web Services extensively for stability and high availability. Our Data Lake provides authenticated, secure access to any available data in our organization. Our Data Warehouse provides additional structure and value to our data, which can be readily used for training machine learning algorithms, any internal or external reporting, and informing our company’s products.
We focus on building and delivering smaller, agile releases to our environments(Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis to reduce the risk taken with only a few large releases/product updates.
Who you are
As a Senior Data Engineer with Virgin Pulse, you love working on a fast-paced reporting pipeline. As a KEY member of the Data Systems & Reporting team, you will be part of a full-stack data & reporting team to create data pipelines, ensure quality & accuracy, design & build BI visualizations, automate SQL scripts, all to deliver world-class data visualizations and analytics for our customers.
You are passionate about top quality data software and knowledgeable about business insights, capable of sharing this knowledge with internal clients and customers. You understand SQL deeply and have experience with data modelling, scripting, and automation. You also take pride in having an agile mindset and a deep commitment to the principles of agile software development. Last but certainly not least, you take pride in your strong sense of teamwork.
In this role you will wear many hats but your skills will be especially essential in the following:
- You have outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- You prioritize openness to others’ views, recognizing and supporting team priorities
- You build partnerships across the organization to achieve cross-department objectives
- You communicate clearly, adjusting your style based on audience (eg: “business”, “technical”, or “non-technical” audience)
- A passion for learning technologies and applying them to the right projects will make you successful in this position
- You are passionate about quality. Ensuring accuracy and elegance in your work is something you do every day. You think carefully about anything before writing code, you code with fastidious attention to detail, you test obsessively, and you take criticism enthusiastically and improve continually.
In a typical week you may:
- Build features used by hundreds-of-thousands of people around the world
- Work on a product that changes people’s lives
- Write create clean, extensible code to build out a microservice-based architecture
- Drive collaborative reviews of design, code, data, features implementation performed by other data engineers in support of maintaining data engineering standards
- Troubleshoot complex data & feature issues, and perform root cause analysis to proactively resolve product and operational issues (L2-3 production support)
- Use a wide variety of modern technologies, including Data streaming (Kafka, SQS/SNS queuing, etc)
- Columnar databases (Redshift, Snowflake, Firebolt, etc)
- Commonly used AWS services (S3, Lambda, Redshift, EC2, etc)
- BI tools (Tableau, Domo, MicroStrategy, Qlik)
- Have fun doing all the above
What you bring to the team
- Completed a B.S./M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent engineering degree
- 2-5 years’ experience with Data Engineering, Warehousing, or Python programming
- 1+ years’ experience building and editing BI visualizations and/or dashboards
- Track record of balancing near-term “MVP” results with long-term goals
- Experience applying Test Driven Development principles to Data Engineering
- 1+ years’ experience with Python as it relates to and support data workloads and applications (PySpark, Pandas, DataFrames, etc.)
- Familiarity with data pipelines, data modeling, architecture & governance concepts
- Experience and commitment to Agile practices
- You are self-motivated, creative, and detail oriented
- Enjoy actively experimenting with new technologies
Bonus Points for:
- Experience building and maintaining Object-Oriented software and applications, built on distributed service architecture
- Experience working side-by-side with business owners, and translating business needs into data, reporting, and analytics solutions
- Broad experience with multiple AWS Services
- Experience working with sensitive data subject to PII and HIPAA standards
- Comfort traversing a whole app (web or mobile) stack
- Exposure to continuous integration and/or deployment and automated testing
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If you may be a good fit, we encourage you to apply.
Virgin Pulse is an equal opportunity organization and is committed to principles of social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. As we are committed to diversifying our company, we make a particular effort to recruit and encourage candidates that are historically from underrepresented communities to apply for open positions.
Work to maintain system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Adhere to industry best practice coding standards and verify all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
*We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.
* Please note that Virgin Pulse representatives will only communicate with you via our own corporate communication tools with virginpulse.com email addresses and through partnership with our Applicant Tracking System, iCIMS, which will clearly reference Virgin Pulse. We do not use third part apps like WIRE or WhatsApp to communicate.
*At no time during the interview process will we ask you for secure PII data unless you are offered a job with Virgin Pulse. Should you be offered a job, and accept, you will be provided with secure links through our partnership with ADP.
To apply for this job please visit www.virginpulse.com.