Uniting industry's brightest technologists with federal leaders
Applications for the next cohort of Presidential Innovation Fellows are open now through May 14, 2021 at apply.pif.gov! We’re looking for creative, courageous entrepreneurs, data scientists, design experts, software developers, system architecture leaders and more to serve as 12-month “entrepreneurs in residence” who radically improve the way government works. Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) is a renowned fellowship program that pairs mid-to-senior-level entrepreneurs, executives, and technologists of all kinds with leaders within the federal government to tackle some of our nation’s biggest challenges. Fellows are embedded within agencies as entrepreneurs-in-residence for 12-24 month engagements working on mission-critical problems, shaping smarter policy and/or advancing equitable technology for public good.
Our fellows come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide range of skills, but they share compassion, excellence, and dedication. PIF is a platform and a home for changemakers, and our ability to navigate and collaborate effectively is critical to our success. We are humble, dependable, intentional, generous, and present. Every Fellow’s expertise — which spans data science, human-centered design, product, software and infrastructure, digital strategy, and more — is understood as a means to deliver government and technology that is accessible, secure, ethical, and equitable.
Past fellows’ projects have focused on improving care and access to benefits for our veterans, re-imagining cancer clinical trials to increase awareness and access for patients, advancing digital health platforms and diagnostics to combat COVID-19, ensuring AI tools are not biased against job seekers with disabilities, and creating a central digital location to share and improve outcomes for children within the foster care system.
To be part of PIF is …
- To have a brainstorm turn into life-changing technology and policy
- To surround yourself with a diverse community of compassionate, mission-driven leaders across technology, innovation, and social good
- To be courageous, stay curious, and design with the public
- To recognize and celebrate what makes each of us uniquely brilliant
- To put people and purpose first in technology and in government
PIF is recruiting for the following areas of expertise:
- AI, Data, and Analytics
- Design and Experience
- Digital Strategy
- Software and Infrastructure
In our application, we ask every candidate to select one of these five PIF tracks. The track you select should best align with your area of expertise. It’s okay if you have expertise in more than one area! We ask that you select whichever most closely matches your skill set. Doing so will help our team thoughtfully pair candidates with projects. Please read PIF track descriptions at apply.pif.gov.
Additionally, the track you chose will not limit the projects that you can qualify for. The PIF team will match all qualified candidates to the appropriate projects as many projects require multi-disciplinary backgrounds.
- Who may apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) are eligible to apply.
- Applications due: Friday, May 14, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- How to apply: Complete our application form at apply.pif.gov, following all instructions.
- Salary: This role’s annual salary is $144,128. This is a GS-15 Step 1 role.
- Benefits: All PIFs receive federal employee benefits. This includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, FSA accounts, life insurance, paid leave, and the Thrift Savings Plan (the government version of a 401K) with up to five percent matching.
- Location: While our program is Washington, D.C.-based, the vast majority of our staff will continue working remotely until it is safe to return to in-person work. Some staff are living outside of D.C. right now and have onboarded remotely with the understanding that they will move to D.C. once in-person work resumes. We cannot provide financial relocation assistance.
- Start date: PIF’s next cohort will have a winter start date. We will be announcing the exact date as we get farther along in the process.
- Education requirements: No, PIF does not have education requirements.
Presidential Innovation Fellows have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
Thank you for your interest! Learn more and apply at apply.pif.gov.
About our program:
Established by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy in 2012, Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) unites industry’s brightest technologists with forward-thinking federal leaders to improve the way government builds, designs and delivers services. Today the program operates within Technology Transformation Services, an organization in the General Services Administration with a mission to design and deliver a digital government with and for the American public. PIF has introduced some of the private sector’s top innovators, entrepreneurs, and executives to the federal government, improving public services for hundreds of millions of Americans as a result. Since its launch, the program has embedded over 193 fellows across 45 federal agencies, with over 53% of PIF alumni continuing in government after their fellowship.
Every year, PIF seeks diverse cohorts of mid-to-senior-level experts in data and AI, engineering, product, design and experience, and digital strategy. PIF also seeks innovators who bring different lived experiences and perspectives to problems, so that we’re addressing them in equitable ways.
Presidential Innovation Fellows Values:
- Design with the public: We create products and services with users, not for them.
- Stay curious: We are lifelong learners who bring empathy and humility to complex challenges.
- Focus on service: We don’t build tech for tech’s sake. We co-create solutions to enrich the lives of the public.
- Be courageous: We do what is right for the people even, and especially, when it is hard.
- Create inclusion: We recognize and celebrate what makes each of us uniquely brilliant. Every day, we work to foster a culture of belonging where everyone can do their best work.
- Grow together: We make our agency partners, alumni, and collaborators succeed. Community is at the center of all we do.
To apply for this job please visit apply.pif.gov.