Uniting industry's brightest technologists with federal leaders
Applications for the Presidential Innovation Fellows are open now at apply.pif.gov! We’re looking for creative, courageous technologists to serve as 12-month “entrepreneurs in residence” within the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CDC works 24/7 to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
Presidential Innovation Fellows working with CDC will advise, consult, and advance innovation on the current state of digital health technologies, policies, and functionalities at the CDC, including the use of AI, data and analytics in a cloud environment.
Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) is a renowned fellowship program that pairs mid-to-senior-level entrepreneurs, executives, and technologists of all kinds with leaders within the federal government to tackle some of our nation’s biggest challenges. Fellows are embedded within agencies as entrepreneurs-in-residence for 12-24 month engagements working on mission-critical problems, shaping smarter policy and/or advancing equitable technology for public good.
Our fellows come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide range of skills, but they share compassion, excellence, and dedication. PIF is a platform and a home for changemakers, and our ability to navigate and collaborate effectively is critical to our success. We are humble, dependable, intentional, generous, and present. Every Fellow’s expertise — which spans data science, human-centered design, product, software and infrastructure, digital strategy, and more — is understood as a means to deliver government and technology that is accessible, secure, ethical, and equitable.
Past fellows’ projects have focused on improving care and access to benefits for our veterans, re-imagining cancer clinical trials to increase awareness and access for patients, advancing digital health platforms and diagnostics to combat COVID-19, ensuring AI tools are not biased against job seekers with disabilities, and creating a central digital location to share and improve outcomes for children within the foster care system.
To be part of PIF is …
- To have a brainstorm turn into life-changing technology and policy
- To surround yourself with a diverse community of compassionate, mission-driven leaders across technology, innovation, and social good
- To be courageous, stay curious, and design with the public
- To recognize and celebrate what makes each of us uniquely brilliant
- To put people and purpose first in technology and in government
- Who may apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) are eligible to apply.
- Applications due: Friday, May 14, 2021, 11:59 PM Pacific Time
- How to apply: Complete our application form at apply.pif.gov, following all instructions.
- Salary: All Presidential Innovation Fellows are hired at the GS-15 Step 1 pay grade. PIFs working with the CDC will be based in Atlanta, and the GS-15 Step 1 salary for the Atlanta, GA locality is $134,938.
- Benefits: All PIFs receive federal employee benefits. This includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, FSA accounts, life insurance, paid leave, and the Thrift Savings Plan (the government version of a 401K) with up to five percent matching.
- Location: Atlanta, GA
- Start date: PIF’s next cohort will have a winter start date. We will be announcing the exact date as we get farther along in the process.
- Education requirements: No, PIF does not have education requirements.
Presidential Innovation Fellows have access to many benefits including:
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
PIF CDC Qualifications:
Please read our detailed position description at apply.pif.gov. To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 or higher in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
Navigating highly ambiguous or uncertain situations to deliver results. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Leading stakeholders through organizational change demonstrated by: Leading a cross-functional team to meet strategic objectives; Garnering support for the team by persuading others to provide approval, funding or resources; or Adjusting strategy based on qualitative or quantitative strategy.
- Working in a team-oriented environment and collaborating within teams.
- Working as an entrepreneur (i.e started and scaled companies or organizations) measured in increased revenue, clients or users; OR intrapreneur (i.e. starting and/or leading initiatives within corporate, academic or non-profit institutions) measured by increased revenue, promoted growth, drove business strategy, acquired clients or customers/end users.
Plus ONE of the following:
Experience leading a team to deliver projects or initiatives. This experience must include TWO of the following:
- Mobile medical application development, medical device interoperability, and healthcare cybersecurity
- Digital therapeutics, machine learning, artificial intelligence and novel digital health technology
- Digital health product development, software as a medical device
- Cloud architecture and computing with a focus on data lakes
- Experience with health record interoperability and Health Level Seven’s (HL7) Fast Healthcare
- Interoperability Resources (FHIR) standard.
- Experience functioning in an organizational leadership capacity as a data scientist, statistician (using predictive analytics) or working in an organizational leadership capacity in the field of artificial intelligence/machine learning which can include: utilizing tools, algorithms or mathematical/statistical modeling techniques to positively impact business outcomes.
- Experience leading a technical team to deliver projects or initiatives to migrate digital products or services to a cloud environment. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Developing cloud architecture using AWS PaaS and cloud native services
- Developing and implementing big data engineering pipelines using Spark platform
- Architecting big data analytics architecture using EMR and Spark
- Experience integrating big data services with AWS security and governance services and adopting cost-efficient approaches into an enterprise offering for users.
- Experience with big data engineering and analytics implementations to demonstrate the integration with data life cycle of collection, ingestion, storage, processing, and visualization.
Experience as a cloud architect with broad knowledge of cloud native and PaaS services. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Experience defining cloud architecture systems that can be scalable and cost effective
- Experience conducting system assessment, mapping business requirements to cloud architectures, providing technical and architecture designs, creating solution prototypes and proof of concepts.
- Experience providing technical oversight and guidance during client engagements.
- Development of software architecture, solutions, systems, and implementation in an Azure cloud environment.
About our program:
Established by the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy in 2012, Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) unites industry’s brightest technologists with forward-thinking federal leaders to improve the way government builds, designs and delivers services. Today the program operates within Technology Transformation Services, an organization in the General Services Administration with a mission to design and deliver a digital government with and for the American public. PIF has introduced some of the private sector’s top innovators, entrepreneurs, and executives to the federal government, improving public services for hundreds of millions of Americans as a result. Since its launch, the program has embedded over 193 fellows across 45 federal agencies, with over 53% of PIF alumni continuing in government after their fellowship.
Every year, PIF seeks diverse cohorts of mid-to-senior-level experts in data and AI, engineering, product, design and experience, and digital strategy. PIF also seeks innovators who bring different lived experiences and perspectives to problems, so that we’re addressing them in equitable ways.
- Design with the public: We create products and services with users, not for them.
- Stay curious: We are lifelong learners who bring empathy and humility to complex challenges.
- Focus on service: We don’t build tech for tech’s sake. We co-create solutions to enrich the lives of the public.
- Be courageous: We do what is right for the people even, and especially, when it is hard.
- Create inclusion: We recognize and celebrate what makes each of us uniquely brilliant. Every day, we work to foster a culture of belonging where everyone can do their best work.
- Grow together: We make our agency partners, alumni, and collaborators succeed. Community is at the center of all we do.
Thank you for your interest! Learn more and apply at apply.pif.gov.
To apply for this job please visit apply.pif.gov.