As Atlanta continues to grow as a top destination to build and grow technology companies, Invest Atlanta, the Economic Development Authority for the City of Atlanta, seeks a driven, passionate, and resourceful leader to lead Invest Atlanta’s Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiatives. This professional will hold a minimum of five years of experience working with or in an entrepreneur ecosystem. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Economic Development, the Director of Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship will develop, manage and execute Invest Atlanta’s programs and initiatives that support the development of entrepreneurs.
This is a high-profile position and requires strong business acumen. You will serve as a Tech Ambassador locally, nationally and internationally for the City.
This person will support and build relationships with Atlanta’s 2800 existing startup companies as well as attract new tech companies to do business in the City of Atlanta. In this role, this professional will build upon Invest Atlanta’s toolkit of resources for startups providing access to business assistance, funding, customers, and tech talent. In addition, this person may be responsible for key areas such as innovation policy and startup incentive programs, tech pipeline development, and support the City’s Smart Cities initiatives.
- Manage the City’s efforts to support Atlanta’s growing startup community by leading outreach and providing business assistance to Atlanta’s new, growing, and scaling companies.
- Lead Invest Atlanta’s business development efforts in the technology sector to attract growing companies to build a presence and do business in the City of Atlanta.
- Establish strategic relationships and partnerships with centers of influence in the Atlanta business and startup community and maintain Invest Atlanta as a go-to place for the entrepreneurial community to navigate local resources.
- Create and maintain pipeline of growing Atlanta companies as well as companies interested in building an office or doing business in the City of Atlanta.
- Execute and build upon Invest Atlanta’s toolkit of programs that provide access to funding, customers, and tech talent.
- Bring a metrics-oriented approach and continue to support job creation and capital investment through the technology industry in Atlanta.
- Continue to grow Atlanta as a top destination to establish and scale a company in the United States and around the Globe by researching, sourcing, outreach, and developing marketing collateral.
- Make data-driven decisions on future entrepreneurial priorities that builds a business climate attractive to technology industries with technology infrastructure, skilled workers, research institutions, and economic development financing.
- Establish innovative policies that support the growth of Atlanta’s startup ecosystem through startup tax credit and incentive programs or other policies that support entrepreneurial growth.
- Support workforce development programs while leveraging the local university system to train for careers in the technology industry.
- Launch and maintain creative tools that allow the entrepreneurial ecosystem to track data around the startup ecosystem showing growth and investment within the City of Atlanta.
- Present (and prepare for) Invest Atlanta’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship strategy and approach to entrepreneurs, partners, and other stakeholders representing the City’s entrepreneurial initiatives at meetings, events, and conferences.
- Build a culture of innovation within the Invest Atlanta and City of Atlanta teams and provide education and training where appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Proven economic development, business development, partnership, or relationship development and management experience and strong ability to build and maintain relationships across the startup ecosystem and amongst various stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically about upcoming entrepreneurial priorities and make data-driven decisions as well as be able to implement and execute on strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to work within and navigate unstructured entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial environments.
- Strong business acumen and ability to utilize databases to gather, analyze and synthesize financial data to determine a company’s maturity and potential for growth.
- Demonstrate the capacity to comprehend, communicate, and apply policy and regulation as it applies to the startup community.
- Collaborative team player; ability to multitask with disciplined attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to political and business communities.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Skilled at managing multiple and competing tasks and priorities.
- Ability to review, interpret and disseminate information and make recommendations.
- Strong level of curiosity for entrepreneurship, new technology and business models, and community impact.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- B.A. or B.S. from an accredited college or university with a major in business administration, public administration, entrepreneurship, economics, finance or related field, with five (5) to seven (7) years of progressive professional experience in an entrepreneurial role, economic development or business development role; OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience which equips the applicant with knowledge, skills and abilities described above.
- Master’s Degree in a related field is a plus.
Resumes should be submitted to: email@example.com.
Invest Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants, including but not limited to Minorities, Females, Disabled and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.investatlanta.com.