Descartes Unites the People and Technology that Move the World
The need for efficient, secure, and agile supply chains and logistics operations has become ever more critical and complex. By combining innovative technology, powerful trade intelligence and the reach of our network, Descartes helps get goods, information, transportation assets, and people where they’re needed, when they’re needed.
We’re one of the most broadly deployed logistics and supply chain technology companies in the world. More than 22,000 customers around the globe use our cloud-based solutions to transform the way they move inventory and information to enhance productivity, better serve customers, thrive competitively, keep pace with evolving regulations, and respond to rapidly changing market conditions.
Descartes is publicly traded (Nasdaq:DSGX, TSX:DSG) with headquarters in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, and offices and partners around the world. With record financial performance for more than 16 years, we lead the industry in innovation investment. Every day, logistics service providers, manufacturers, retailers, distributors, and other logistics-intensive businesses of all sizes rely on our scale, stability, and comprehensive solution footprint to move what’s most important to them.
We’re growing fast and invite you to join our amazing team.
Having almost doubled our size in the last five years, we have a newly created opportunity for a strategic, people-focused Director of Human Resources to lead our Latin Americas (LATAM) team as well as global functions of compliance, HR acquisition management, HR systems & analytics and programs. Reporting to the SVP, Human Resources, you will take ownership of the design, rollout, and engagement with regional employment law compliance, global diversity programming, systems and mergers and acquisitions.
This is a chance to apply your people and process leadership to significantly impact a workforce of 189 people in the LATAM region, guide and coach two direct reports and their related teams, and contribute to other HR functions. In addition, you will strategically create pathways and programs to ensure Descartes employees are accessing every professional opportunity they can through the consistent design and rollout of policies and processes.
This is a flexible position, with the choice to work remotely or onsite.
What’s in it for you
Empowerment and influence. You want a Director role at a global organization where your experience and knowledge will be respected and heard. We are a mid-sized technology company operating worldwide, and we are growing. Joining us now is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and insights from lessons learned to build the HR function in our LATAM division and impact the organization globally by developing and implementing fit-for-purpose programs and services. You will provide direct coaching and guidance, working alongside your two direct reports, ensuring we are meeting and exceeding the needs of our people through consistent policy, responsive practice, and a people-first approach. In addition, you will prioritize a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce and culture, fostering a collaborative working environment.
Professional advancement. At Descartes, we value the contributions that each of our employees makes toward achieving our corporate goals. We strive to ensure that each team member has the tools and support they need to make valuable contributions. This will be your chance to map out your career with our continued growth as a company, demonstrating courage and ambition to create and define the value you bring in your current and future roles here.
Your priorities as the Director, Human Resources
- Strengthening leadership globally. You will build out our depth of knowledge in employment law (and compliance) and talent management in the Latin American (LATAM) region. You will grow an understanding of the LATAM business pipeline and resourcing requirements. You will collaborate to create an appealing employee value proposition that supports future hiring needs.
- Fostering excellence. You will prioritize diversity, equity inclusion and belonging across the organization considering cultural nuance and practical application in our 26 countries. You will nurture a supportive and welcoming environment of different perspectives, backgrounds, and approaches.
- HR technology systems and data analytics. You will draw on best practices to channel current HR data into insights and indicators for decision-makers. You will apply a data-driven approach to identify trends and recommend proactive solutions for employee performance, retention, and engagement. You will recommend reporting, processes, and data flows to optimize our use of SuccessFactors. You will lead the adoption of processes and increase awareness of the system’s benefits and capabilities.
- Implementation of human resources programs. You will execute the People strategy and provide end-to-end human resources services, exploring opportunities to add value. You will ensure and enforce compliance with employment standards across the LATAM region. With a focus on acquisition growth, you will be responsible for assessment of current due diligence and integration processes, with intent to refine and enhance how we review and integrate new employees to the business.
- Relationships. You will build and nurture positive relationships with our global HR team of 40 people. You will foster an open-door policy and approachable manner, welcoming employees at all levels to assist with and solve HR issues. You will reach out to business leaders to understand their resourcing needs, coaching them on people management and development. You will provide professional development and mentoring to your direct reports.
What you bring
- The intellectual curiosity. You epitomize coachability, a growth mindset, and the desire to be a thought-leader in this space. You have untapped potential and are looking to take your HR career to the next level.
- The experience. You have built your career in Human Resources over the last seven years, developing a deep understanding of processes and enterprise-level HR Systems. You can translate business requirements into actionable people strategies.
- The leadership. You thrive in a leadership role where you can inspire and advise teams and peers across inter-disciplinary groups. You can confidently navigate a matrixed environment and present recommendations in a compelling, professional, and impactful way to senior executives. You are comfortable working with a globally distributed team, and you appreciate diverse opinions and approaches. You are a champion of best practices, continuously learning and staying ahead of the curve.
- The technical skills. You have expertise using and optimizing an HRIS such as SuccessFactors. You are highly analytical and can create spreadsheets and intelligent, insightful, straightforward HR reports, analytics, and dashboards.
- The people and function management skills. You have at least three years of demonstrated success scaling resources, building trust and nurturing connections within teams. You can foster a collaborative, results-oriented environment, plan and achieve KPIs, guide the team’s work, remove barriers, and create individual growth opportunities. You have end-to-end project planning and delivery experience to gain buy-in and engagement with end-users, including change management and education. You can expertly influence and drive the work of various stakeholders involved in a project, prioritize multiple projects, and balance changing priorities.
- The interpersonal skills. You have exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills in English and ideally, Portuguese or Spanish. You can create effective business documentation ranging from end-user guides and training to project updates and general communications. You can translate technical information for non-technical audiences. You have outstanding relationship-building and collaboration skills.
- The flexibility. You are willing and able to travel on occasion to our office in Waterloo and very rarely to our locations in the LATAM region.
Making an Impact
We succeed when our customers succeed so, for us, results are everything. Descartes’ logistics and supply chain solutions help automate, streamline and secure the flow of goods and information in ways that result in a significant positive impact on the environment. In 2020, we helped our customers save over 552 thousand metric tons of CO2, 1.86 billion sheets of paper, and 727 million liters of fuel.
Descartes has a deep sense of environmental responsibility. Join a team that’s committed to working with customers to conserve resources and enhance sustainability.
Network | Applications | Intelligence| Innovation
Our cloud-based solutions improve logistics and supply chain productivity, performance, and security. Descartes’ Logistics Technology Platform innovatively combines the world’s most expansive logistics network with the industry’s broadest array of logistics management applications and most comprehensive offering of global trade related intelligence.
Network: The Descartes Global Logistics Network™ manages the real-time flow of commercial, logistics, customs and product information. It spans more than 160 countries and connects hundreds of thousands of organizations in logistics and transportation, manufacturing, distribution, retail, government, ecommerce and business services.
Applications: Customers use our modular, cloud-based applications to route, schedule, track and measure delivery resources; plan, allocate and execute shipments; rate, audit and pay transportation invoices; access global trade data; file customs and security documents for imports and exports; and complete numerous other logistics processes
Intelligence: Our global trade intelligence solutions and services enable organizations to work smarter by making better, data -driven business and supply chain decisions.
Innovation: We’re focused on transforming new ideas and feedback from our customers and in-house domain experts into real-world innovations. New developments in the areas of IoT, machine learning, AI and analytics are enhancing the ability of our solutions to solve problems and process more information in new and complex ways.
Today’s supply chains are more connected, complex and moving faster than ever. To meet this challenge, Descartes is leading digital transformation for companies of all sizes. We invite you to join our epic journey.
As we scale, we’re looking for new doers, collaborators and innovators to join Descartes in uniting the people and technology that move the world as the Global Leader in Logistics and Supply Chain Technology.
We’re entrepreneurial, hardworking, geeky-in-a-good way problem solvers. Guided by our values, we nurture a TEAM focused culture that invests in people and creates opportunities for advancement across a broad spectrum of career paths. We prioritize work-life balance and foster an environment with the space to take ownership, to be heard, and to carve a path for your individual accomplishments to help drive our success. At Descartes, everyone has a voice and the best argument wins, regardless of who makes it.
We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, remote and flexible work hours, and the opportunity to join a company on an awesome mission with a great existing team and trajectory.
If you feel you have 70% of the qualifications we are looking for, and Descartes sounds like the team and the mission you want to be part of, apply now. We can’t promise it will be a fit, but we do promise to consider your experience.
Due to COVID-19, we’ve implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video (Microsoft TEAMS) and are on-boarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
We are an Equal Employment employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please review our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics at Descartes.com.
Descartes is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. Applicants in North America with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can email us at email@example.com. Provide your name and contact information along with the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process. Your request will be responded to as soon as possible. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for this job please visit descartes.applytojob.com.