Hypepotamus, the leading startup and technology publication in the Southeast U.S., is looking for an associate editor to help write, edit, and manage features on the site. This is a full-time position based in Atlanta. The position reports to the Editor-in-Chief.
About the role
As the associate editor, you will be working closely with the Editor-in-Chief and a small staff of full and part-time employees to highlight the tech and startup ecosystem in the Southeast. As part of a small, largely remote team, you’ll have an important hand in shaping the roadmap of the publication.
The ideal candidate will be a news fanatic (you have TechCrunch, Fast Company, and more on your Twitter feed) and a strong writer, with previous experience working in an editorial environment (as staff or freelancer). The individual in this role will be comfortable reporting on assignments and receiving pitches within the technology community. The EIC will assign stories and the associate editor will interview and turn those conversations into engaging company features, news articles, and resource pieces.
While previous knowledge of startup and technology is helpful, the role also allows for on-the-job learning. You’ll be reporting on company funding news, entrepreneur features, thought leadership-focused resources, and technology trend features.
You may be asked to attend certain events for coverage. There’s also ample opportunity to participate in speaking and moderating engagements in the community, if desired.
● At least 2-4 years of prior work experience, and a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent career experience. A degree in journalism, communications, PR or media would be exceptionally helpful.
● Experience in an editorial or communications role, ideally in written media, is required
● Organizational and time management skills are essential
● Ability to work independently is a must
● Ability to meet daily deadlines based on news items
● Basic knowledge of Mailchimp and building newsletters using a pre-designed layout
● Basic knowledge of HTML
● Familiarity with social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter
Great to have
● Familiar with Slack as a workplace messaging service
● Understanding of AP style
● A keen attention to detail and an ear for language and tone in writing
● Strong self-management skills to balance multiple projects
● Flexibility and willingness to wear multiple hats
● Interest in startups, technology, and the ecosystem
This individual will have significant autonomy and flexibility, but must be cognizant of prioritizing the publication’s needs.
Candidates must be based in Atlanta. Salary is commensurate with experience, and healthcare and 401(k) plan with company match are available.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org