Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing has invested in BitPay Inc., a payment service provider specializing in eCommerce and B2B solutions for virtual currencies.
The Details on BitPay:
- Founded in May 2011 by Anthony Gallippi and Stephen Pair.
- Offices in Canada, Europe and the United Kingdom, with headquarters located in Atlanta.
- Exceeded $100,000,000 in Bitcoin transactions processed this year
- Handle transactions for 15,500 companies (up from 1,300 a year ago) across 200 countries.
- About half of transactions are in the United States, with 25% in Europe and 25% in the rest of the world.
- Raised $2.7 million in angel and venture capital funding.
- Some of their other investors include the Founders Fund, A-Grade Holdings, Shakil Khan, and the Bitcoin Opportunity Fund.
The Details on Li Ka-shing:
- Li Ka-shing made this investment through his venture capital company, Horizons Ventures, an early investor in companies such as Facebook, Waze, Skype and Summly.
- Forbes list : #30 Powerful People, #8 Billionaires
- His empire spans 260,000 employees in 52 countries
- Shares in his largest holdings jumped in the past year, adding $5.5 billion to his fortune.
[Photo Credit: Whitlock/Hypepotamus]