Yesterday’s Startup Day ATL was standing-room only in every phase of the event. Thanks to all who attended for what turned out to be another great day for Connected Awesomeness in Atlanta. The event kicked off promptly at 1pm and continued well into the night with a community-wide party.
Flashpoint Demo Day
Students, investors, and start-up leaders flooded the main auditorium of the Historic Academy of Medicine to full capacity, overflowing it even, to witness the opening keynote by Merrick Furst, CEO of Flashpoint GT, who outlined the principles of Startup Engineering. Immediately after his presentation, Flashpoint GT’s Batch 3 graduates gave their 3-minute pitches. Cohort 3 included the following:
- EnhanceWorks seeks to transform publications into interactive experiences on tablets and mobile devices. Follow them on twitter @EnhanceWorks and learn more here.
- Excelegrade tracks student progress against the Common Core standards and delivers an adaptive and personalized learning plan. Excelegrade makes K-12 classroom assessments digital by replacing paper-based tests with assessments on tablets, smartphones, and laptops – allowing teachers and schools to capture more data than ever before. Follow them on twitter @excelegrade and learn more here.
- HealthySmartsMD provides users with a personalized mobile application to empower individuals to lead healthier lifestyles. The application offers a new way for people with chronic health conditions to regain and maintain control over their lives. Learn more here.
- Landspec Pro is a speciality product marketplace for landscape architects and designers. Follow them on twitter @LandSpecPro and learn more here.
- PhysiHome provides a cloud-based solution for sports rehabilitation and performance, leveraging a unique interactive video technology for home therapeutic evaluation and exercise programs. Find out more here.
- Synapp.io provides deliverability solutions for businesses using email marketing by rehabilitating suspended accounts and bringing them into compliance with email service providers’ anti-spam standards. Follow them @synappio and learn more here.
- ThundrLizard provides audio annotation to support coaching for inside sales executives. Follow them @ThundrLizard and learn more here.
To round out the first segment, four Flashpoint alumni startups CollectorDASH, eCommHub, Sideqik, and Springbot followed the Cohort 3 presentations.
Summer Startup Academy + Investor Reception
Great food and great conversation followed as successful entrepreneurs and investors provided useful insight to students from all over Atlanta as the kick off of the Summer Startup Academy conversation series, which was moderated by Scott Henderson, Executive Director at Hypepotamus. As that room swelled with ideas of ingenuity and progress in technology, another room buzzed with accredited investors and Flashpoint companies spending quality time together at the Investor Reception.
Flashpoint Alumni Panel
The two groups reconvened in the main auditorium following the Summer Startup Academy Kickoff discussions for the Flashpoint Alumni Panel featuring Adam Ghetti, CEO & CTO at Ionic Security, Fred Blumer, CEO at Vehcon, and Vijay Balasubramaniyan, CEO, CTO & Co-Founder at Pindrop Security. It was a great insider’s view of the Flashpoint experience and the nuts and bolts of Startup Engineering.
Summer Startup Celebration Sponsored by Dell
After a very full afternoon, attendees were ready to kick back and network. The Summer Startup Celebration sponsored by Dell delivered with over 400 people, drinks, good eats all together under beautiful, sunny skies at the marvelous Rooftop 866. The coconut shrimp, chicken & waffles, and spring rolls disappeared as the libations flowed.
A special thanks to Merrick Furst and James Coleman of Flashpoint GT, our sponsors at Dell and the presenters and speakers that made Startup Day ATL such a worthwhile event.
See also this Storyify by Jacqui Chew about the Flashpoint Demo Day pitches: