Next Gen Games
March 23 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Get ready, it’s time for the third annual Next Gen Games!
Each spring, the Next Gen Games provides students with the opportunity to compete and apply learnings and skills developed throughout the program year in a real and tangible way. Students participate in individual and team events with and against peers across all partner schools for prizes, summer internships, and an all-expenses paid summer trip out of state!
This year, we’re expecting over 150 student participants and need 60-65 Atlanta-based professionals to volunteer as judges for both individual and team events.
Please select only one individual event to judge.
- Who I am Slam Poetry (9am-12pm): Students create a 3-minute personal narrative poem that represents their personal identity and present to a group of 2-3 judges.
- Craft Your Identity Art Gallery (9am-12pm): Students create a mixed media art project that captures their personal identity. All projects will be exhibited in a gallery and the top 5 will be chosen to present before the judges panel.
- Pathway Debate (9am-12pm): Students will compete in a modified Lincoln-Douglass style debate (1 v 1) with the following resolution: All high school students should attend college. Pro argues for a 4- or 2- year college pathway. Con argues for a military or direct employment pathway. Students will not know which side they’re on until the debate begins.
- Community Service Shark Tank (9am-12pm): Students will create a vision and pitch a business plan for a social entrepreneurial project that will address a need in their community.
- Secure the Summer (9am-12pm): Students will select one of three local companies to interview with for a summer internship. Representatives from each company will award the top three students with an internship opportunity. Participants will also be graded on their LinkedIn profile, cover letter and resume.
- Team Event (12-3pm): Student cohorts will compete head-to-head to test their teamwork, problem-solving and resourcefulness. Judges will facilitate, score and cheer on each cohort as they work through a series of activities.
Scheduling for the Day:
Individual events will run until noon, when we break for lunch that will be provided for all volunteers. Team events will take place after lunch, followed by the closing ceremony and announcing of the winners. As a judge for individual events, you may choose to leave after lunch, but we’d love to have you stay for the whole day of events!