- This event has passed.
March 15 @ 8:00 am
Invest Atlanta and Worksource Atlanta are further developing a tech talent pipeline by subsidizing Atlanta-based students to complete entrepreneurial-focused internships with Atlanta startups. This will support growing startups with funding some of their immediate tech talent needs. After a successful pilot in 2018, our goal in 2019 is to expose 20 Atlanta-based students to entrepreneurship and help meet the talent needs of 20 Atlanta-based startups.
Students2Startups in its initial year:
- Hosted 14 students comprising 50% women and 86% people of color.
- Supported 14 high-growth Atlanta startups including Rented.com, Truststamp, Moquality, and others.
- Sixty-four percent of participatns continued their internship after the program ended.
- Two interns were hired as full-time employees as a result of the program.
- Startups have short-term tech talent needs as they scale, but they are cash poor.
- Entrepreneurship requires experiential learning and students have few connections that transcend academia into the local entrepreneurial ecosystem. Therefore, students may be less likely to remain in Atlanta upon graduation.
- Startups tend to provide volunteer-based positions, which can create a barrier to entry for students lacking resources or from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Invest Atlanta and Worksource Atlanta will subsidize City of Atlanta-based (please see eligibility requirements in FAQs) students to pursue entrepreneurial-focused summer internships and identify program participants and support with professional development opportunities.
- Local universities, including Georgia Tech, Georgia State University, Clark Atlanta, Morehouse, Spelman, Emory and SCAD, will promote the opportunity to students from each school who are high performing and show entrepreneurial potential.
- Startups will commit to provide mentorship and create work plan with substantive and varied work to expose students to various tech-related careers.
- Students will commit to 35 hours/week in the program and should display entrepreneurial values such as creativity, analytical thinking, problem-solving, curiosity, adaptability and flexibility, technical skills or interest.
Costs for Startups
Students will work 35 hours/week at a $15/hour rate. Over 12 weeks, this totals $6,300. Invest Atlanta and WorkSource Atlanta will pay 2/3 of the cost: