- This event has passed.
Building a Network of People that Know You
February 11, 2019 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Hello Alpharetta Business Networkers!
“Somebody knows someone who knows somebody who knows you.” – Gary Burnison, CEO of Korn Ferry
People you know are generally more willing to put in a good word on your behalf. When that happens, you are a step ahead of everyone else for that deal, job or opportunity. That’s the “power of networking” as Mr. Burnison puts it (link to his ideas below).
Alpharetta Business Networking meetup group aims to provide a venue to grow the number of people you know. Our next business networking event is scheduled for Monday, February 11, 2019, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Village Tavern in Alpharetta.
There is no formal agenda, so don’t worry about an elevator pitch. There are plenty of other networking events where you can do that, but this one is not one of those. Just come on, get a name tag and then hello.
These monthly networking events are free, but please RSVP so our host can be prepared. You can update your RSVP if your plans change.
News and notes:
1) Last meetup recap. We had an AWESOME turnout at our last event. I’d estimate about 70 people attended overall, which a tremendous opportunity to grow your network. If you are new to the group, don’t let the numbers overwhelm you…there are plenty of other people that are new, and the group is welcoming.
2) Raffle winner. Congrats to Ria of Allscripts Healthcare Solutions for winning the $10 gift card drawing to Amazon. “I never win anything,” she said! You did now! Try not to spend it all in one place! 😉
3) A new virtual assistant. One of our group members, Patricia J. Stuut, has just taken a big step and opened her own business: Patricia Administrivia. She tells me she’s a long-time executive assistant in the corporate world, she decided to parlay her experience into this new venture and she’s accepting new clients. You connect with her on LinkedIn (http://bit.ly/2CuWPJU) or message her through Meetup (http://bit.ly/2Cw1DPm) if you’d like to learn more. Of course, you can always come to the next event and meet her in person!
4) Looking for a new job or clients? I’d like to spotlight 1-2 members of our group that’s looking for work every month. Maybe you are looking for a new job, run a side-hustle, or have your own business (like Patricia). If so, I’d like to share who you are, highlight your skills and tell the group about the value you provide to employers or clients. This a networking group – let’s put the power of networking to work! Please message me through Meetup (http://bit.ly/2Dj1P5Y) if you’d like to be in the spotlight. First come, first serve. Must be an *active* member.
5) Have you joined our LinkedIn group? This is a digital companion for our networking group on LinkedIn. Had a good chat but didn’t get a business card? This is the place to connect: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12118249/
6) Insight Venture Partners Invests $500 Million In Veeam. This company is HQed in Switzerland, however, it has a 50,000 square foot office with 300 employees in the Northwinds II building in Alpharetta. They develop backup, disaster recovery and virtualization management software for data centers. Read more: http://bit.ly/2QY4Fks
7) Alpharetta Now Home to More Than 700 Technology Companies. There are now 704 tech companies that call Alpharetta home, a substantial increase from 643 in 2016, according to the city and the non-profit organization Tech Alpharetta. Read more: https://buff.ly/2VVAQVo
8) The 90-Day Career Diet: Networking. This is the source of the quote – a contributed article in Forbes – cited above by Gary Burnison. Read more: http://bit.ly/2R0SW4V.
9) No hard-selling policy. Please don’t come to these events and hard sell. Hard selling works like networking repellant that causes people to avoid you. To that end, we have a two-strike rule: If I see you doing it, I’ll ask you privately to stop. If you do it again, there will be no warning, I’ll simply remove and block you from the group.